Museo delle Civiltà
Museo Nazionale Preistorico Etnografico "Luigi Pigorini"
The Library is only accessible by appointment. Tel 0654952245 - 0654952246.
Access is restricted to students and researchers who make formal application to the Superintendent. Students are required to make a deposit.
The Library at the institution is a fundamental point of reference for the study of prehistoric archaeology and ethno-anthropology and contains, having been enriched by major acquisitions and bequests, over 70,000 volumes making it one of the oldest and richest Italian collections of bibliographic material on palaeontology and ethno-anthropology.
• Collegio Romano collection: 8,000 volumes and over 7,000 miscellaneous items on prehistoric and ethnographic themes.
• Prehistoric and ethno-anthropological Current Collection: 5,000 volumes.
• G.V. Callegari Collection: 860 volumes on pre-Columbian and Mesoamerican cultures and on studies related to the Americas.
• Sir Edward Leach Collection: 7,000 volumes, 4,000 periodical titles and 75 offprints concerning ethno-anthropology.
• Victor Lanternari Collection: 3,500 volumes, 400 miscellaneous items, 200 periodical titles and 150 dossiers covering historical themes and ethno-anthropological approaches to religion.
• Antonio Maria Radmilli Collection.
• Regular publications: c. 1,000 titles and more than 400 issues of the Bulletin of Italian Palaeontology and an equal number of magazines from all over the world.
• Audio-visual section (opened in 1990): 45 cassettes, 50 rolls of 35 and 16 mm microfilm (containing inventories of the Museum, the Giglioli and Loria historical and photo archives) and 600 microfiche (catalogue of the Giglioli ethnographic collection, catalogue of the library of the Museum of Mankind of London).
Index of magazines