Museo delle Civiltà
Museo Nazionale Preistorico Etnografico "Luigi Pigorini"
[Home] [About us]
The Museum of Prehistory and Ethnography in Rome was opened on March 14, 1876 by Luigi Pigorini (1842-1925) and was originally located in a wing of the Palazzo del Collegio Romano, a structure that was built in the late 16th century by the Society of Jesus and had, in addition to serving as a Jesuit College since the 17th century been the home of a collection of antiquities and curiosities gathered together by Father Athanasius Kircher.
Between 1962 and 1977, the museum was transferred to E.U.R. but retained its original division into two areas: one for the Paleontology and one for Ethnography.
The Institute predates the museum and was only later incorporated into the Archaeological Service.
Since the early 1990’s the museum has continued to work on the conservation of its collections and the renewal and representation of materials through public exhibitions and has relaunched its public communication activities. These activities have involved working on the opening and/or the reorganization of the permanent exhibition rooms (Prehistory, Africa, America and Oceania) in the context of an on-going programme that includes a series of temporary initiatives which have supporting scientific and technical development and which have improved the museum services, in terms of both museological and learning activities.