Museo delle Civiltà
Museo Nazionale Preistorico Etnografico "Luigi Pigorini"
The museum is divided into two large exhibition areas that are dedicated to Ethnography and Prehistory.
The permanent Paleontology exhibition consists of six sections.
The first two sections “When, how, why: methods for the study of human past” and “Natural history” are presented using modern multimedia technologies that combine three-dimensional reconstructions with the language of hypertext (see, for example, the chart of evolution) and, being more general, serve as an introduction to the other sections.
The other sections have been organized on a thematic basis as part of a long chronological overview of specific periods in human history:
• “Hunters and gatherers”, documenting the population of Lazio during the Paleolithic era;
• “Art in prehistory”;
• “From village to city”, a presentation of materials from various Italian and non-Italian areas (Switzerland and the Aegean for instance) from the Neolithic, the Eneolithic or Copper Age, the Bronze Age and the early Iron Age.
• “A blast from the past”, a presentation of on-going excavations in the village of "La Marmotta" (Lake Bracciano, Anguillara Sabazia, Rome);
The permanent exhibits in the ethnography section include the following sections:
• Africa. This section presents three key historical encounters between Africa and the West: the discovery of the West coast, the exploration of the interior of the continent and the "discovery" of African art. The area is also used for rotating exhibitions such as “The splendour of the warrior: African ancient weapons".
• America. In this section we journey through the artefacts and archaeological remains of cultures in Mesoamerica and Central America and present the first contacts between Europeans and Mesoamerica and the Andean world.
• Oceania. This section presents material from Melanesia, Polynesia, Micronesia and from Australia which were collected, for the most part by travellers, explorers and scholars in the late 19th century.
Closed on Mondays
Entrance to the Museum is allowed until 30 minutes before the published closing time.
Ticket for Museo delle Civiltà
Adult 10,00 €
Young (18-25 years) and public school teachers 5,00 €
Children under 18 years FREE
Also FREE: disabled visitors and companions; tourist guides, and possible interpreter, in the exercise of its business; ICOM members; MiBAC members; groups of students of public and private schools, accompanied by their teachers, by reservation; teachers and students of the faculties of Architecture, Humanities, Academy of Fine Arts; the handicapped, and a family member or other companion for support services; operators of voluntary associations in accordance with the agreements signed with the MiBACT for promotion and dissemination of knowledge of cultural heritage.